Moving House Tips: Removals and Storage
Removals & Storage
Moving your household items into storage can be useful for many reasons, for example you may have sold your home and the moving dates haven't quite matched up, or you may be looking to sell your home and therefore de-clutter. Arranging removals and storage together to store some items is a good idea to be able to present your home in the best possible light to potential buyers.
Some removal companies may offer a "removals & storage" facility and some smaller removals companies may not. If using a removal firm to store your items ask your removal company to show you their insurance policy and check to see what limit your items are insured up to.
Here are a few useful Removals & Storage Tips:
- Write down a list of the items/furniture you will be storing and present the list to the storage company of choice so they can help you accurately determine the storage space required.
- Having got the size of your storage unit make a plan of how your items will be arranged. Try to leave an aisle in the centre for easy access to the rear, this is for accessibility.
- Be sure not to store food in boxes or other items that will attract pests and never store hazardous materials such as flammable liquids, gas canisters etc. Always read the storage companies storage polices.
- Pen or label boxes on all sides and keep a list that details all contents.
- Having stored your belongings you may find you need to retrieve a few things at a later date so be sure to store frequently used items as near to the front as possible.
- To utilize maximum space in your storage unit disassemble dinning tables, bed frames and stack chairs etc. Wrap/protect and label accordingly for easy assembly at a later date.
- Storage companies preferred method of calculating volume is in sq ft (square feet) & removal companies make use of cu-ft (cubic feet).
Storage companies can provide trolleys and moving carts even fork lifts to help get your things in and out.
We recommend that you contact a local removal company or storage company should you have any questions regarding storing your furniture or finding out more about other ways they could be of assistance.